From: brian [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:brian@anvill.com.au";>mailto:brian@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:43 PM
To: GSBN
Subject: Re: GSBN:Leather Bales

Hi to all,

I am unsure of the outcome of leather in bales, but it did prompt a question
on my part. I have been contacted by an Aboriginal elder wanting to build
homes for his people in Broome Australia. The humidity is high. Too high for
Straw bale. I would be interested to hear if anyone has baled plastic
bottles for building, as there is an abundance available. I would think that
a cement lime render would be best if it was feesable. Does anyone have any
suggestions? They have plenty of labour available. One of the kee
requirements is that they build themselves, as this will help with social
issues with the you people, as they do something worthwhile that they can be
proud of.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Regards
Brian Hodge

MattsMyhrman@...:

> Since failure in bale buildings often relates to the bales getting wet,
> wouldn't it be ill-advised to build with bales of a material that
"releases toxins
> if it gets wet or burns"?   Although it might be OK for building a
warehouse
> to store more leather bales.   As for insulative value, although an
unlined
> leather jacket is effective as a windbreaker, is the leather itself very
> insulative?   Keep us informed, John.
>

> In a message dated 7/31/06 1:31:40 PM, lorobles55@...:
>

>> Hello
>> Leather is certainly baled in a quiet different way than straw or hay; if
>> animal skin has to be used in building, as it was done (and still is,
some

>> places) by Laps, Inuit, or Mongols , the material is efficent as
insulator
>> in vertical layers, like our good old leather jackets. but who wants
BALED
>> leather? heavy, costly, akward, not very proper indeed.  Maybe the baled
>> leather mentioned in Brazil is from waste cuts, pieces too narrow or with
>> holes and faults on the skin?  But even then, I just cant think of it as
>> great building material.
>> Other opinions?
>> Lorenzo

multipart/mixed