RE: GSBN:Fern Bales

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments.  I will mention the worries about
plastering and insulation to the man who is making them.

He is trying to get funding from the local universities and government to do
some tests on the bales--although I don«t know what kind of tests.

In Galicia, where the house will be built it is actually a very moderate
climate.  Summers are not so hot, and it freezes very rarely, so some loss
in insulation is not necessarily a problem as long as the difference is not
a lot...The major problem in Galicia is the high level of Humidity, and
since it seems that ferns don«t rot o mold, and animals/insects don«t like
them,  they liked the idea of try to build with them.

The will be harvesting the ferns from "Comunal Ground" (land that belongs to
the community at large for common use) by hand with G?adanya (a stick with a
long curved blade at the end).  Carrying it by Donkey to a field to dry, and
then will bale it with home-made hand-baling machines.  All this Will be
done from 14-20 August near Pontevedra, Galicia.  I will let you all know
the results when they are available.

Rikki Nitzkin
Aul?s, Lleida, Espa?a
rikkinitzkin@...