From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Bruce King
Sent: Thursday, 3 August 2006 11:07 AM
To: GSBN
Subject: Re: GSBN:Leather Bales

On Aug 1, 2006, at 3:43 AM, brian wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I am unsure of the outcome of leather in bales, but it did prompt a
> question
> on my part. I have been contacted by an Aboriginal elder wanting to
> build
> homes for his people in Broome Australia. The humidity is high. Too
> high for
> Straw bale. I would be interested to hear if anyone has baled plastic
> bottles for building, as there is an abundance available. I would
> think that
> a cement lime render would be best if it was feesable. Does anyone
> have any
> suggestions?

Brian, a Colorado (USA) architect, Doug Eichelberger, has built some
experimental structures with plastic bales, and local University
students did some associated testing.

I wrote that up in some detail for the upcoming book, "Design of Straw
Bale Buildings";  here it is:

2.2.2  Plastic and other baled materials

Jean Nielsen built an experimental load-bearing structure of paper
bales at the University of Arizona some years ago, and others have
experimented with baled paper, cardboard, and pine needles, but there
have been no reports as yet of promising developments.

Architect/builder Doug Eichelberger is experimenting with baled plastic
water bottles, and collaborating students at the University of Colorado
conducted a cursory battery of tests from which the following comments
are drawn.

Figure 2.2A

Plastic Bales

photographs courtesy
of
Doug Eichelberger
and George Nez

Advances in technology or changes in economic conditions can affect a
building material's viability, availability, and usage.  As an example,
plastic is a petroleum product; thus its price follows the price of
oil.  Today [2005] in the United States discarded water bottles have a
recycled value of as much as $0.30 per pound, partly due to material
value and partly due to labor and transportation costs.  These costs
have risen exponentially in the past ten years, and in some cases this
kind of plastic used for a foundation may cost as much as concrete.
However, agencies such as The World Health Organization have noted the
growing problem of plastic waste in developing countries.  This problem
is hugely exacerbated after a war or natural catastrophe ravages an
area, triggering an influx of food, water, and other aid in plastic
bottles and packaging.  Could baled waste plastic be a shelter solution
for developing countries? Plastic as a raw material has an extremely
long life, is moisture- and decay-resistant, and is lightweight and
strong.  The building technology is both simple and ancient: stacking
blocks or bales of materials on top of each other to create walls.

Building a test structure is the best means of trying out a new
material, both for its inherent properties and as a system. In the
1990's Doug Eichelberger built the first permitted prototype, a 36 x 48
foot [11 x 14.6 meters] barn, followed by two bale homes in the
mountains of Colorado.   All of the structures were constructed with
plastic bale foundations and difficult-to-recycle paper bale walls.

His current project, described here, uses bales of household plastic to
create both foundation and wall systems.  The project starts with
collecting the plastic bottles and baling them into building blocks.
Previous projects had used large, heavy bales (1800 lbs. [816 kg.]
each), requiring machines to move and stack.  This new process involves
much smaller bales that can be moved and stacked by hand, much like
straw bales.

Baling
In Eichelberger's current project, the large bales were broken down and
rebaled on site.   The baler is small by industry standards (used
balers like this are available all over North America for between 500
and 2000 USD), was loaded manually, and the three-wire tie-off was also
done by hand.  The resulting bales weighed about 40-45 lbs. [18 to 20
kg.], their dimensions were approximately 30 x 24 x 16 inches [76 x 61
x 41 cm], and they took about 15 minutes to make.

Despite the simplicity of the machine and process there were numerous
variables.  The baler ram force is a constant, but the actual material
amount varied, so, like straw bales, the bales could expand in length
from 24 to as much as 30 inches.  The wires were hand-tied when the ram
had the material in maximum compression;  when the ram was released,
the bales then expanded to the wire tension.  That tension varied from
person to person, and according to the time of day and an individual's
fatigue level.  Eventually the project team devised a crude tool that
maximized tension at a somewhat consistent rate.  Even with this
improved process, however, a range of bale strengths, weights, and
sizes were produced but manageable.

Stacking/ stabilization
Since plastic bales are unaffected by moisture they were used for the
foundation, though the long-term durability of the wire ties is
unknown.  The bales were simply placed in a rough trench and pushed as
close together as possible.  The site slopes slightly, so the
foundation varied from one to two bales deep.  Colored  plastic bales
were used for the foundation, as they were rougher in shape.  Above
grade, two different wall types were constructed: load-bearing (bales
flat, 16 inches high) and infill or post-and-beam (bales vertical, 24
inches high).

Due to the strength of the plastic and the confused orientation of the
material in the bales, it was impossible to drive spikes through the
assembly to gain stability. Also, the slick, slightly convex surface of
the bales and the stiffness and memory of the bottles made tight
stacking difficult.

Bale proportion also became a stacking complication.  A typical straw
bale or adobe brick has a 2:1 dimensional ratio, making a running bond
easy to accommodate.  The running bond creates a sort of lock to the
bale courses.  The baler used created a more square bale which made a
running bond and its locking qualities impossible.

The solution for all this was a panelization process using vertical
stabilizers and a simple form of post-tensioning. Since internal spikes
proved so difficult to install, #3 external vertical reinforcing bars
were sunk into the ground on the outside of the bales and tied together
at each bale course, creating a series of quasi-columns.  Next, poles
were placed vertically at the end of each run of bales.  Wires were run
horizontally and tied tight, pulling the panels of bales together to
create a unified wall.  The next form of post-tensioning used a wood
plate laid on top of the wall with wires tied over the plate from side
to side and fastened at the bottom (as is often done with straw bale
walls).  Through this process the walls were compressed vertically as
much as 4 inches.  This system also allowed the top plate to be
leveled.  These stabilization methods were used in both wall types, and
appeared to greatly strengthen the walls prior to roof loading.

Roof
A simple roof structure was installed and finished to load the walls
prior to finishing.  The above-mentioned top plate became the bearing
point for 2x wood rafters on the load-bearing wall.  External wood
columns and a wood beam carry the load on the opposing wall.
Corrugated metal is the roofing material.  The structure was left open
so that added load could be applied to test differential loading and
settlement.

Stucco
One-inch stucco netting was fastened directly to the bale wires and
tie-down wires using cage clips and hog rings.  Gaps between bales were
filled with loose plastic bottles to reduce stucco thickness.  A cement
stucco base coat was mixed using 1/3-inch pea gravel as filler for the
first/ filler coat.  A typical one-coat topping was applied as a
finish.

Lab testing
Testing on plastic bales was completed in the spring of 2005 at the
University of Colorado1; results can be viewed and/or downloaded at
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.edc-cu.org/ppt/PlasticBales.pdf";>http://www.edc-cu.org/ppt/PlasticBales.pdf</a>. The bales showed a range of
strengths as follows:
.  Compressive strength up to 5 psi [35 kN/m2] at strains between 0.15
and 0.28
.  Modulus of elasticity of 30 psi  [207 kN/m2] +/-
.  Density of 4 to 10 pcf  [64 to 160 kg/m3]

Since the wall system required a panelization/post tension approach,
further lab tests will be completed on bales configured in those
conditions.  From those results structural design criteria can be
established.  Further tests could evaluate a plastered bale wall's
insulative qualities.

Collection
In urban areas of the industrialized world, large amounts of plastic
are typically available from local recycle centers.  Depending on local
collection processes, recycled plastic comes in three basic categories:
  PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate; water and soda bottles, which have
the most value), HDPE (High Density Polyethylene milk jugs of lesser
value), and finally colored plastics which include detergent, juice,
and some food product containers.  They typically are available in
large bales, allowing transport of a greater amount of material in a
small volume.  (PVC, or Polyvinylchloride, is at once among the most
useful, ubiquitous, toxic, and nearly impossible-to-recycle plastics in
the marketplace.)

Potential problems
Baled, recycled plastic poses several problems that limit their utility
as construction materials:
. Variability in bottle sizes and strengths- Sizes ranging from two
liter soda bottles to tiny prescription drug bottles make for highly
heterogeneous bales;
. Lids-  Some bottles still have their lids while others don't;
bottles with lids are harder to compress, and the lids make the bottles
want to return to their original shape;
. Some bottles still contain some of their contents, making for
potential insect or mold problems;
. Once plastic catches fire it is difficult to extinguish, and fumes
emitted from plastics can be toxic.  Furthermore, some bottles contain
volatile materials like oil or lighter fluid;
. The reliance on metal wire ties, particularly below grade, requires
long-term protection from corrosion.

Conclusion
The test structure appears to be a success, as it is carrying load
without distress.  The passage of a few years will reveal any
freeze/thaw problems, differential movement, or other problems should
they occur.

What is the appropriate use of waste plastic?  The high cost of plastic
in the industrialized world may make baled plastic construction
unpractical there. On the other hand, areas of war, poverty, tropical
climate, or natural disaster that already have a surplus plastic
problem are also places where the availability of material and labor,
coupled with the need for simple shelter, creates an opportunity-or
even need-for baled plastic construction.

Figure 2.2B

Plastic Bale
Buildings

photographs courtesy