Re: GSBN:Compression

Maren,

I just visited the FASBA (German SB association) gathering in Walthershausen where 2 presenters focussed on this subject based on laboratory testing trying to determine how much pre-tension is required to avoid creep with unplastered bales. Basically what it boils down to is that you need 30% pre compression on 100kg/m^3 dry density bales. ie practically impossible. At the same time though I must clearly state that the tests being done are very useful and will give us some very useful data on the behavior of unplastered 2 string and Jumbo bales.

John Zahng of Australia has done similar plastered full wall tests and found that about 4% pre-compression is required to avoid initial creep. This figure roughly corresponds to what has been found in practice to be the right amount of pre-compression. Incidentally the force-deflection curves presented at the Fasba gathering exhibited the same flow as those found by John Zahng.

Rene