RE: GSBN:Compression & bumble bees

Hi Maren
It has to be made clear that the tests done in Germany showing the need for
so much pre-compression (30%) are not borne out in practice. They are very
interesting results and we need to understand them, but we have built a 2
storey loadbearing house that remained unplastered over the winter - that
is, had it's full load on the walls for several months - and the maximum
compression we had on the ground floor walls was 6%. We  know from many
practical experiences that loadbearing walls do compress a certain amount
under their full loading, that most of this happens in the first 2 weeks,
and that it has virtually stopped by 6 weeks. On top of this, there is the
effect of plaster on the walls, which definitely has an effect to reduce the
amount of compression experienced if it is applied before the 6 week period
is over.

A useful observation from the German tests however is that loadbearing bale
walls do not require plaster in order to make them structurally strong,
which should add to the debate in the US on this subject.

I think it is always useful when conducting research in laboratory
conditions to check in with what happens in practice as well. Hence the
inability of the bumble bee to fly analogy.

Best wishes
Barbara

WARNING: Strawbale building can seriously transform your life!

Amazon Nails
Strawbale Building, Training and Consultancy
Hollinroyd Farm
Todmorden
OL14 8RJ

Tel/fax: 00 44 (0)1706 814696