Re: GSBN:Compression & bumble bees

Morninig All Rene et al

Long, long time ago in another century we carried out creep tests on
the cement render of a well compressed straw bale wall at the Uni of
New South Wales in Sydney.

We found that the render did creep and eventually was around 7mm over
2.4m high.  Which meant I believe that the render was NOT supporting
the roof plates.  That is the straw bales were alone in their ability
to support the roofs.

On some straw bale buildings I have inspected (No names no pack drill)
I have noticed that there is a gap between the finished render and the
top plates which goes to prove I feel that the straw bales are bearing
the weight without the influence of the render.  I have pics of  this.

So the German work is well received here as I have felt all along that
the naked bales are strong enough to support a roof and that the
render does little or no work in a load bearing structure.

We have built many load bearing straw bale buildings now and with
little or no problem even 9 years down the track.  My rule of  thumb
even in non-load bearing walls is to compress to 100mm or around 4%
subject to using good bales of course.

Having completed the pre-compression we now lock the top plates in
with all thread in fact we use all thread for all our pre-compression.
I do not like the fencing wire and gripples as they do not give a
very accurate finished top plate AND the gripples eventually give and
the wires get loose.  Again I was asked to inspect a SB building
recently and found that this was the case (No names no pack drill).
The wires were very lose but the wall looked solid enough.

Salaam
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
61 2 6927 6027