From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Maren Termens
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:25 PM
To: GSBN
Subject: GSBN:Compression &amp; bumble bees

Hi Barbara, John, Rene...and all...

perhaps you remember, only few weeks ago I explained that we tried a
different system to build a Nebraska-style-home...so - of course- we now
have problems.
On top of the walls (house aprox. 5m wide x 13.5m long) we placed two huge
wood panels (flat roof). Each panel 1700kg, total load 3400kg. We wanted to
try not to use a ring-beam and use this huge panels as ring-beam and
compress with them afterwards...so, now the load is too little and the load
is "too well spreaded"...only 2cm of compression and the walls move and
don't give a very "nice feeling". Now the idea was eventually to compress
with a crane and fix all with the "plastic-belts" (sorry, I don't know the
English name).Does anybody know which is the force you need to compress a
wall this 6% you recommend?) If you think it's crazy to do it with a crane,
please, we're open to every suggestion!!!

If not, perhaps we try it with truckload belts with spanners fixed to the
panels and the...if not, perhaps we need to take away the panels, build a
ring-beam and pre-compress the walls and place again the panels.

Thanks again for all your help,

Maren

Rene Dalmeijer escribi?: John, Barbara,

I wish to set things right before you all get a completely wrong idea of the
German tests. Basically what the German tests have tried to determine is the
maximum load you can apply to a bale either 2 string or Jumbo. The reason
for these tests is that the current codes in Germany will not accept a load
bearing SB building based on a plastered SB sandwich ie bare bales should be
able to carry the load all on their own. Off course we and the testers know
that the plasters carry most of the loads.

What the tests have shown me so far is that bare bales can carry immense
loads 30t for a single 2 string bale. That bales in a wall work better then
on their own because they but against each other. That bales placed on their
side are stronger/stiffer then layed flat. And quite a few other aspects
that I will await the final outcome of the tests. To put things right these
tests are not silly we will now know better what the mechanical properties
are of bare bales and which aspects are of influence on these properties.

Rene