Re: GSBN:Compression & bumble bees

John,

Point taken.

Yes the bales actually stiffen or put otherwise the modulas of E
actually increases. This effect is the most marked in the initial phase
of force application ie 3-7% deformation. In this phase the rough
exterior faces are pressed into each other ie until the whole wall or
single bale exhibits a more or less uniform density.

John I have the impression both things are happening the strings are
resisting bulging of the bales and more grain stalks on end. As you
state the latter depends on the baling machine used. Most of the bales
I have access to are quite random and obviously different to the tested
german bales with a clear orientation.

Rene