RE: GSBN:Compression & bumble bees

<x-charset windows-1250>
>This effect is the most marked in the initial phase of force application ie
3-7% deformation. In this phase the rough exterior faces are pressed into
each other ie until the whole wall or single bale exhibits a more or less
uniform density.<

This brings up the notion that by filling in between the  bales with a nice
straw/clay mix, both at the ends and between courses (just enough so that
bale faces still touch but the gaps are filled) you would create the
strongest of walls.  This approach, it seems to me, would be superior to
most of the methods of "pre-compression", which only serve to take up the
horizontal gaps, and perhaps do so inefficiently.

John "Mud-Daubber" Swearingen

John Swearingen
 SKILLFUL MEANS
design and construction