RE: GSBN:Testing Humidity:: Bio hygrothermal mould prediction

Andr?,
FASBA is using a system from Behrens&Krause, who had developed it especially
for straw bale buildings.
The results can be viewed online: <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.view.bernedo.de/";>http://www.view.bernedo.de/</a>, Klick on
"Gastzugang" to see what is possible in guest access (only the month April,
2006 three monitorpositions per 5 sensors of the straw bale house
"Strohpolis").

If you want to have more informations, I could ask Ingo Behrens (who is a
member of FASBA), if he can translate his product informations in english.
It costs mimimum about 2.000 EUR.

We have 4 Houses online yet, perhabs it could be a good idea to develop an
"international measuring community" with a  shared online-viewpoint of the
measurements.

Barbara Jones, Dietmar Lorenz and Ren? Dalmeijer got some informations about
Behrens&amp;Krause System last weekend at our annual FASBA-meeting.

What do you think about the system Barbara, Dietmar and Ren??

In addition to this I'm using a modified nice hand set called PCE-313A
(<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.warensortiment.de/technische-daten/hygrometer-313.htm";>http://www.warensortiment.de/technische-daten/hygrometer-313.htm</a>, may be
there is somewhere some english information), wich is apple to measure
Temperature and rel. Humidity in a wall. And it can work as datalogger for
about 6000-7000 measured values(3/4 year by one value per hour). It costs
about 320 EUR modifcation included.

The recorded values can be filled in the Freewaretool WUFI-Bio
(<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/-";>http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/-</a>> downloads), to check if there is a
risk of mould growth. This method calculates (straw in substrate group 1)
very safe, that means it often predicts mould where in practise isn't any
fungus growing, but if it shows no growth, you can be sure, that it is
alright.

There are two english articles of SEDLBAUER and KRUS about the scientific
background.

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/ibp/publikationen/konferenzbeitraege/pub1_";>http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/ibp/publikationen/konferenzbeitraege/pub1_</a>
43.pdf
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/ibp/publikationen/konferenzbeitraege/pub1_";>http://www.hoki.ibp.fraunhofer.de/ibp/publikationen/konferenzbeitraege/pub1_</a>
39.pdf

The recent german approval is basing on calculations of WUFI-Bio. Direct
clayplastered walls are failing. Together with Dr. Krus from the
Fraunhofer-Institute for Building Physics (IBP) we're working on tests to
modifiy the operation method of WUFI-Bio to calculate more close to reality
with the aim to approve the mould resistance of direct clay plastered straw
bales.

Dirk Scharmer

Fachverband Strohballenbau Deutschland e.V.
Auf der Ruebekuhle 10
D- 21335 Lueneburg
Tel. 00 49 4131- 727804
Fax. 00 49 4131- 727805