GSBN:New Feature for TLS Web Site

Hello everyone,

There are many frequently asked questions about straw-bale construction that
could be answered by adding a list of FAQ's, Do's and Don'ts, Helpful Hints
to the TLS web site. I started making a list and thought I should ask the
GSBN for input and assistance. Examples of things that might be included:

1.  Parapets don't work - and the reason(s) why.

2.  Felt paper on the bottom two rows of bales - extend roof eaves instead.

3.  Trim the bent/folded side of the bale to reduce amount of fill required
between bales and between courses (with photo of how to).

4.  Cutting and retying a bale (illustrations).

5.  Plaster mixes and recipes.

6.  Pros and cons of interior staking, exterior pinning, stitching.

7.  Does the R-value increase with the size of the bale - small square,
jumbo bale.

I'm sure there are many others that you could add to the list and that I
have on file that could be shared.

This list could be continuously updated and changed as methods, techniques
and practices change and as we think of other frequently asked questions
that could be answered. We should cite sources for additional information.
We should acknowledge people's ideas, too, like trimming the bent side (Tony
Caniglia in Colorado was the first person who mentioned this to me - I don't
know if he was the originator but it sure works!).

Please let me know what you think about this idea - and, of course, please
contribute your Frequently Asked Questions Do's and Don'ts and Helpful Hints
as well.

Joyce
-------
Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
The Last Straw journal
GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
thelaststraw@...
www.thelaststraw.org