 From: derek@...
 To: GSBN@...
 Sent: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 7:26 AM
 Subject: Re: GSBN:A question about quantification of carbon sequestration in a bale and bale structures

  My memory of the carbon sequestration analysis on the Chinese and Mongolian
 strawbale structures, is that energy conservation dwarfs the impact of the
 carbon stored in the straw. The few tons of carbon in the bales themselves
 are part of the current carbon cycle, where plants grow and take in carbon
 from the air, then die and release the carbon as they decompose. This
 cycle causes no net change in the atmospheric carbon levels.

 While the bales in a house might delay the straw's decomposition by a few
 decades, I don't think that we can expect, on average, to lock up much
 atmospheric carbon in strawbale houses for very long.

 In contrast, every bit of fossil fuel burned brings carbon into the
 atmosphere that was sequestered millions of years ago. Fossil fuel use has
 caused the dramatic increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide, over the last
 century. The biggest impact of a strawbale home will be energy
 conservation, leading to decreased use of fossil fuels. This will vary
 with the climate and the success of the design and construction.
 Decreasing fossil fuel use, over the life of a strawbale home, is likely to
 involve vastly more carbon that that which is in the bales. And all the
 carbon "saved" will be fossil carbon, which would otherwise have directly
 increased the amount of carbon in the atmosphere.

 I think that carbon sequestration is one of the weaker claims for strawbale
 building. On the other hand, energy conservation is variable with climate
 and structure, making general numbers impossible. Quantifying either of
 these things isn't easy.

 Derek

 --On August 28, 2006 9:44:09 PM -0400 strawnet@...:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > A friend who we've been working with who is involved with Native
 > American renewable energy projects and also affordable energy-efficient
 > housing for Native Americans just inquired about carbon sequestration in
 > bales and bale structures. I know that there has been research done on
 > this and that some folks have done work related to getting carbon trading
 > credits for bale structures but after hunting around a bit here I can't
 > seem to lay my hands on that info and wondered if anyone on the list has
 > credible data and sources of information about that?
 >
 > Thanks for any help any of you might be able to provide.
 >
 > Warmest regards,
 >
 > David Eisenberg

 Derek Roff
 Language Learning Center