GSBN:Re: A question about quantification of carbon sequestration in a bale and bale structures bale and bale structures

My thoughts are in harmony with all who have commented so far.  This
discussion is helping me think about the question in more depth.  I agree
with David that we can't ignore the little things.  Although cases will
vary, little things can sometimes add up rapidly.  For example, while I
argued that the amount of carbon in the bales is fairly small, David
pointed out that we might compare that to burning the same straw.  Andre
mentioned comparing SB to the carbon used when employing other building
materials.

When we compare building with steel or brick and burning several tons of
straw, to building with straw and (hopefully) not burning that straw, then
the carbon sequestration embodied in the building materials choice is
multiplied.  Using Andre's figures, choosing to build with straw locks up
more than ten times the carbon that is simply contained in the bales.  This
is before we look at energy savings.  That is an important calculation.

All of which makes David's job harder, because he now has to figure out the
relative carbon impacts of building with SB versus each alternative.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100