Date: 3 Sep 2006 00:49:42 -0700
From: Martin Hammer mfhammer@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Ugandan building project

Ben -

Through my recent sb codes research, the only straw bale building activity
in Africa I could find was in South Africa.  The two contacts I have in
South Africa might be able to steer you in the right direction regarding the
project in Uganda, although those two countries are not particularly close
geographically.  In any case . . .

Andy Horn - ecodesign@...
Colin Marincowitz - linkpty@...

In my communication with both, they professed little knowledge about sb work
in other parts of Africa, but it is worth seeing what they have to say about
Uganda.  Good luck.

Martin Hammer

PS - Bill Christensen,  is Andy Horn a member of the GSBN?

> Hi All
>
> I have been asked to work on an orphanage in Central Uganda and am
> looking for any contacts on this list that are located (or do work) in
> the region.
>
> Briefly, a contractor I recently worked with told me his daughter and
> her husband work with Ugandan orphans. They have already procured a 100
> acres tract upon which to put the buildings. There is the possibility of
> an additional 300 acres of land being provided. Their current program is
> to build as self sustaining of a community as possible. As he (the
> contractor) explained, their hope is to purchase a block forming machine
> and produce the walls from local soils (perhaps w/ some sort of
> stabilizer added). They can fabricate roof trusses from local materials
> and will roof w/ corrugated metal. They have 2 existing wells on site
> and are working to have a small herd of cattle donated or purchased.
> They hope to create methane gas to use for energy.
>
> The people behind this appear (so far) to be dedicated and motivated.
> They have a non profit 501 c-3 in place and the person who has contacted
> me is a retired General Contractor who has previously experience
> building from local materials in less developed countries.
>
> Any thought, comments or interest will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Take Care
>
> Ben Obregon Architect
> Austin, TX USA

I appreciate any contacts that can lend some insight into conditions in
Africa.

I look forward to meeting you at the ISBBC.

Ben

- ---