Re: GSBN:Re: A question about quantification of carbon sequestration in a bale and bale structures bale and bale structures

Hello Chris, hello everyone;
In quantifying all these  aspects we reach a rather complex level of
possible "roads" and choices for the future need to be thought and over and
over if we do not wish ending in "ecological mistakes" eventhough inducted
by good will and Earth caring approach.
 Burning on the field has traditionally been a farming way, for two main
reasons ie getting rid of pests, and feeding the soil with the minerals
contained in the straw ashes.
 But it is not necessary to burn all the straw. If -lets say 20% of the
straw is left on the field, and burnt, the 80 % remaining may be used for
construction.
 When a SB house is being deconstructed, the old straw could burnt to
produce heat, and then ashes used in farms. a simple and short , closed
cycle.
 I am not an expert in baling machines, but I can easily imagin these could
be adapted-or built- to leave enough staw on the ground, as they bale?
 But the great interest I find in straw (and earth ) construction is the
enormous sustainability connected with these techniques.  So little energy
is involved.
On the other hand, quite a lot of human energy is required, because the
less we do through industrial process, the more we have to do with our good
old ape hands! Requires some labour. But is that a problem in itself? No. It
is a good solution, both socially and economically, because labour IS a
sustainable ressource.   Arent we about 7 billion on this planet?  An
economy (as ours today) based on less labour for short term profit in NOT
sustainable, in the distance. What our 7 billion people humanity needs is
freedom ,  balance and sustainability, not neverending growth. Decreasing
significantly the pressure (the demande) on stuffs like oil or steel, or
simply water,  globally would lead to a betterr environment of course, but
certainly to less reasons for wars, conflicts and stress at all levels.
This is on of the reasons I profoundly believe we are definitly part of the
solution, hoping time enough is left.
Lorenzo