Re: GSBN:A photo and questions

Dear Martin (and all),

As you know from our prior conversation, my feelings about this are
twofold. First, I think it is indicative of your level of commitment
and the seriousness of your efforts that you would arrive at a point of
personal crisis and explore the possible negative impacts of that
photo. I understand both the concern and the level of anguish you've
experienced about the possibility that a whimsical act might undermine
your efforts and those of others and the credibility of straw bale
construction in the eyes of anyone. I honor that level of concern and
your willingness to take responsibility for that possibility, slim or
not.

And, I am also of the opinion that the risk of that is fairly small and
the overall benefit of some levity is much larger. In addition, there
is a part of me that thinks people who do good, conscientious, serious
work and can also enjoy themselves actually have more credibility with
most people than the humorless people who are unable to see the world
except through their narrow lens. And, of course, I could be completely
wrong and people reading this in the GSBN archives years from now may
laugh at my ignorance of how the world really works... But I think
humor is one of the best solvents for weakening attachments to old ways
of thinking. (On the other hand, I don't think I'm alone in being glad
you were wearing clothes in that photo...)

As for the other part of your message, you are right on in the sense
that those of us who spend time in the role of pioneering such things
as straw bale construction do have a real responsibility to do it well
enough that we don't jeopardize the thing we love through carelessness
or ignorance. And I also believe that one of the things that has set
this community apart from many others has been the openness and
generosity of spirit in sharing not only our successes but our failures
and challenges. The GSBN community continues to represent the best
aspects of how we might learn to act in many other spheres of human
activity.

Thank you Martin for sharing your concerns so openly and honestly and
for caring that much, and also for the wonderful job you have done in
serving the larger straw bale community through your diligent and hard
work.

David Eisenberg