GSBN:Re: A photo and questions

I think the photo was completely appropriate for The Last Straw.  It is
fun, funny, and provides a needed balance to the overly-serious approach of
most building journals.  This balance is what makes the natural building
community the special place that it is.

It's true that an issue of The Last Straw may sometimes be used for
purposes and situations beyond the confines of our community, such as
educating building officials.  It's hypothetically possible that some
future building official might take strawbale building less seriously,
because of a humorous photo in TLS, or some other extraneous reason.  But
we can't change the world by worrying about the possible reactions of a few
hypothetical people who are welded to the status quo.  I'd rather think
about the positive effect the photo might have on people who are looking
for alternatives on many levels.  And many of those people are building
officials.

The Last Straw is not the Bible.  Nor is the building code a religious text
(we hope).  This TLS issue expresses the life and vitality of the movement,
which includes joy and laughter.  Martin, you express the concern that if
"even one reader" considers strawbale less credible because of the photo,
it would be a bad thing.  I say let's focus on the balance, not just the
negative side of the ledger.  I am sure that we can find one person who
will object to anything we might do, or not do.  Ignore them.  As Rene
recently pointed out, this TLS issue is making a great contribution to
people across the world.  The levity of that photo is a valuable part of
the whole message.  The Last Straw would be poorer, if it didn't include
the humor and spirit of its readers, writers and editors.

That's how it seems to me.  And I'm proud of my inverted values.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...

--On September 7, 2006 4:43:33 PM -0700 Martin Hammer