Re: GSBN:Ugandan building project

Thanks John!

I really appreciate links to all of the info and especially to the
people. It's an amazing thing to meet or connect with people who give so
much for noble causes.

I look forward to meeting oyu someday. Will you be at the ISBBC this year?

Take Care

Ben

John Glassford wrote:

G ' day Ben

I was born in Kenya and  have been to Uganda many times but not
recently.  Susan and I have very recently returned form South Africa
our second visit in two years.

What you will find in Uganda is a beautiful country with wonderful
diverse and friendly humans.  You will also find 2 million orphans who
will break your heart.  The Ugandan Government is doing a very god job
with the AIDS pandemic unlike South Africa who are still basically in
denial.

If you want to learn their earh building techniques you could do
yourself a favour and spend a couple of weeks volunteering with Gemma
Sisia at the School of St Jude in Tanzania:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/";>http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/</a>

Here you will see the progress this amazing Aussie woman has made from
3 children three years ago to 750 now attending her school.  You will
also see some earth building in progress at the two web sites below:
 <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/News/SecondarySchoolBuildingProgressstartedAug06/tabid/117/Default.aspx";>http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/News/SecondarySchoolBuildingProgressstartedAug06/tabid/117/Default.aspx</a>

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/News/NewsletterJuly2006/tabid/115/Default.aspx";>http://www.schoolofstjude.co.tz/News/NewsletterJuly2006/tabid/115/Default.aspx</a>

There is not a lot of straw being baled in Uganda but wheat is grown
on the Highlands of Kenya not far away from the border and I have a
farmer friend who lives in Elburgon who used ot grow a lot of wheat I
am not sure if he is still there.  I expect though you will be using
mud bricks.

While you are in Uganda you should visit the Mountains of the Moon or
the Ruwenzoris just magic.  I will be back there next August climbing
Kilimanjaro for the orphans of Africa see:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.coolamonrotary.com/maps/";>http://www.coolamonrotary.com/maps/</a>

In Canada you should contact Ryan:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.ryanswell.ca/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=21&amp;Itemid=51";>http://www.ryanswell.ca/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=21&amp;Itemid=51</a>

Ryan a young Canadian is an inspiration and his work is in Uganda.

Also if you are in Toronto contact the Stephen Lewis Foundation,
Stephen has done a lot of work in Uganda:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/index.cfm";>http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/index.cfm</a>

Look up his projects pages for Uganda.

Have fun and take care wish I could join you but I am on a similar
path back to Africa and need to put all my energies into our Rotary
Road MAPS to Africa projects.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions