Re: GSBN:Pine Needles in natural buildings

Pine needles do burn well indeed. We use them regularly to prepare our
mussels following a delicious local recipe:
Place your mussels on a wooden plank (the side that opens goes up) and
place a layer of 10 cm of pine needles (not baled ;-) on top.
Burn the needles and dig in (be sure not to wear a white shirt) and wash
your black hands and face when you are done.
I intend to test 'cooking' them with straw (would be a fun recipe for
our workshops) but have not yet laid my hands on on-treated straw.

On a more serious note, yes pine needles burn, and so does loose straw.
Do pine needle bales burn as badly as straw bales? Probably, when they
are well plastered!

Bye,

André Who burned my mussels? de Bouter

Catherine Wanek a ?crit :
Also, recently I was in Beijing, at the ethnic diversity museum, and
saw some workers incorporating pine needles into a clay -- cob-like
-- mix, for use in constructing walls in a traditional timber-framed
building with a thatched roof.  Also, it's said that a part of the
Great Wall was built with red willow branches reinforcing a
clay/aggregate rammed earth mix.
Probably safe to say that most available fibers can be used in a clay
matrix... but not all as bales. Like Joyce, I would be concerned
about flammability.
-Catherine