Date: 5 Oct 2006 08:11:50 -0700
From: larskeller@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Reflections on Summer Plastering - A short tale

Dear Bill,

first of all, thank you very much for sharing the story, and the very very
beautiful photos on your homepage. Thank you.

second, if you one day find time, then: when Jo and Asger and I get back to
Denmark, which we will in a month's time, then we'll be looking after Asger,
earning a bit of money, and continuing the building of our house. A big part
of the remaining tasks is final finishes. When I look at the photos then I
wish I had tried what Athena is doing on the photo with the text: "Athena
carves decoration into edges of lime plaster." Can you explain how it is
done, or where I can read about it.

Love, Lars.

2006/8/29, Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...:

> I'm not sure if this is list material, but hey, it has to do with
> plastering and since SB buildings take a whole lot of plaster I
> thought I would share my experience working on Athena's sister's new
> gallery in New Mexico. The building was a four story adobe tower,
> granted it wasn't straw bale, but since the walls were so uneven the
> differences were minor.
>
> There's been a lot of discussion about the about the advantages/
> disadvantages of applying plaster to SB walls either by hand or
> mechanically.  I don't have an opinion either way as to one being
> better than the other, I think that each set of circumstances brings
> it's own solution depending upon timing, labor force, resources, etc.
>
> In my/our case, being northern New Mexico, Athena's sister still
> living in Santa Clara Pueblo, lots of teenage kids available and
> mostly because we don't know any better or haven't ever done it
> differently - we mixed and applied all the plaster to the interior of
> this building by hand.  Simply said, it's the way we love doing it.
> I guess the reason that I am sharing this here is that the whole
> event took on a character so different from the way things are
> increasingly done in the age we live.  I suspect that what we did
> wasn't much different than the way things were done a hundred years
> ago in Northern New Mexico except that the trowels were of better
> quality.  Anyhow, if it catches your interest, I put this out as a
> contrasting experience.
>
> Our job during the months of June and July was for Athena and I to
> lead the plastering effort and in the process coordinate a group of
> all ages to get the building plastering in time for a gallery opening
> the middle of August.  The ages of our crew ranged from 6 to 75 with
> a bunch of teenagers/early 20s types clustered in the middle.  They
> ranged from moderate plastering skill levels to none at all.  One of
> the great things about the mix of people was that it included
> Athena's extended family from the Pueblo, our three boys, college age
> interns and talented young girl from Mexico. You could sort of call
> it North American cultural mix of sorts.
>
> One major task was to develop a mix and method of application that
> all could easily apply, wouldn't crack and give the gallery a unique
> and beautiful feel that was consistent with what Athena's sister
> Roxanne wanted and that was very northern New Mexican. Actually it
> would work anywhere, but it fit the place.  What we tried to do was
> create walls that would make her sister's work stand out, make the
> place feel incredible and yet almost not be noticed. I think we were
> successful.
>
> All the plasters were mixed on site from a combination of local clays
> with the exception of a lime plastered panel to be used for viewing
> slideshows and movies.  I will say that if you haven't watched a
> movie on a curved lime plastered wall then add it to your list of
> [...]

- --
Jo, Asger og jeg er pt I Australien. Vi er i Danmark igen midt november.
Juli, august og september kan vi kun traeffes paa nedenstaaende mobilnummer,
samt modtage post via nedenstaaende adresse.

Jo, Asger and I are in Australia until mid November this year. July, August
September our contacts are:

jomorandin@...
larskeller@...

Lars, Jo og Asger