Re: GSBN:Next International Conference

Laura, thanks for bringing up the important subject of the location of ISBBC
2008.  I have very strong feelings about this.

First, however, without going into detail, I want to say I thought the
recent ISBBC in Ontario was an extraordinary success, and I thank all of
those in Ontario who did such great work making it so, as well as everyone
who attended and contributed.  Truly amazing, diversely informative, and
routinely inspiring.  Maybe in a future e-mail (or TLS article) I or others
could share more about this.  And without diminishing the enormous work that
many in the Ontario SB Coalition did, a special thanks to Chris Magwood for
his steady presence throughout and for his inspired closing address.

OK.  ISBBC 2008.  Two offers to host ISBBC 2008 were expressed at the
Ontario conference.  One from Maurice Bennett of CASBA (for California) and
one, as Laura has stated for Colorado.  Of course any offer to host and take
on the large task of making it happen is greatly appreciated.  Both
California and Colorado have been fertile ground in the evolution of straw
bale building.  But I feel strongly that, if at all possible, the ISBBC 2008
should not be in North America  (I also think the U.S. should get out of
North America, but that is a different matter).

3 of the first 5 ISBBCs have been in North America (California '99, Nebraska
'00, Ontario '06).  '02 was in Australia, and '04 was in Denmark.  Without
knowing if anyone or group is willing/able to take this on, it seems to me
that having the '08 conference on the continent of Asia (e.g., China) or
Africa (e.g., South Africa) would keep the conference on an expanding course
instead of a shrinking one.  If that is not possible, then maybe somewhere
in Europe (e.g., Germany, France, the U.K., Spain) or New Zealand.  Belarus,
also seems like a possible candidate.  In addition to the obvious importance
of the willingness of the host, there may be other considerations, such as
native language, and ease (including cost) of people in the worldwide
community getting there.

After '08, I could see the conference accepting the kind offer of those from
Colorado (which certainly has a lot to show), or wherever else seems
appropriate.

So those are my thoughts on the subject, and without knowing how this
decision gets made, I hope this stimulates productive discussion.

Martin Hammer
California, USA