GSBN:Re: Next International Conference

Hi All,
Laura had it right. I did indeed say that China (the strawbale part
of it at least) wouldn't be ready for this kind of conference quite
yet, especially if it is to be held in 2008 (the same year as the
Olympics). We just don't have the bandwidth to pull it off yet, but
depending on how the project continues to develop, it might be a
possibility for the future.

If the conference does indeed end up in North America again (because
of the interest and ability to pull it off), I suggest that North
American participants pay a "close-to-home-tax" that could then
underwrite the travel and conference costs for non-North American
participants. Also, I've been thinking a lot about the CO2 emissions
related to air travel (with air travel included my eco-footprint
looks like big foot). As we plan for another conference, let's
discuss what it would take to make both the conference and travel to
it as carbon neutral as possible. Credits from Native Energy?
(www.nativeenergy.com) OR $$ to support strawbale construction in
some other part of the world - Pakistan or Mexico or China or ???
(yes, I'm a self-interested schemer, especially when it comes to
international projects :-).
(see
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-210-2383135-523,00.html";>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-210-2383135-523,00.html</a>
for an interesting discussion of environmentalists and air travel)

In other related news, Linda Zhu is currently at the Seventh Day
Adventist Women's Conference being named a "Adventist Woman of the
Year" for her work developing the China straw-bale technology
transfer project. If you want to offer congratulations, you can email
her at adraprc@.... Thank you all for making her feel so
welcome at the ISBBC. She had a great time and understands a little
better the breadth and depth of strawbale/natural building across the
world. She described the first evening as very akin to a "come to
Jesus" tent revival with Judy as our main preacher. I like to think
of the strawbale community as having "all the benefits of church, but
without the religion", the church of Present Day Saints, PDS-SB.

Amen,

Kelly