 From: timok@...
 To: GSBN@...
 Sent: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:46 AM
 Subject: Re: GSBN:Next International Conference

  hello all,

 I have been waiting until I could say something useful but a few of you have
 heard and so I just wanted to send this note.

 the home I have been working on for more than two years now, and was to be
 completed as of today, burned to the ground on the last day of the
 International conference. I had made the very hard decision to not come to
 the conference in order to finish the home. As some of you who know my work
 might guess there was not a part of the structure un- sculpted or uniquely
 finished and the irriplacability of the art and nature in the building has
 left me in deep unknowing.

 the fires cause is unknown but seems to have started from a long running
 electrical short in a wood frame wall when a breaker did not trip. the bale
 and cob walls kept the fire from spreading to the 40 acres we live on and
 the 3000 acre ranch around us. I always new they would protect my home from
 the forest but who knew they would protect the forest from my home.

 we are still in shock and are trying to asses the way forward. many have
 offered help and I don't know yet how to receive it. I will keep you all
 informed as there is any clarity and or useful lessons for the straw bale
 movement but for now we are trying to nurture our family, who are all
 unharmed physically, and find a warm cocoon for the winter to let out all
 our insides and see what will reform out of this.

 I would love any proceedings that might have come out of the conference. Was
 there anything planned in this regard?

 but most of all I am sorry I missed my church with so many of my friends and
 respected collaborators in the attempt to make living on this planet more
 humane.

 I hope and trust you are all well and inspired,

 Tim
 ----
 For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line. ----