Re: GSBN:Next International Conference

For the sake of supporting the SB-thing in growing into an
unstoppable worldwide beauty I think it makes sense to look for somewhere
else than Canamerica.
January first should be plenty of time as a deadline for the decision,
particularly with the luxury of Colorado/CASBA ready in the background.

Lars Keller

2006/10/14, Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...:

Hello all,

In my experience, the decision about the location depends on someone
offering to take on this major effort.

There are many locations around the world that we would like to visit for
an
ISBBC, I'm sure. In an item in a recent issue of TLS, I'd suggested Spain,
but their network is only two years old and probably not ready for such an
undertaking. Other countries you've mentioned are probably in the same
situation.

Because Colorado has generously offered to take on an ISBBC in 2008 with
assistance from CASBA (California), and have proved they are capable of
planning and carrying out successful conferences, I'd suggest that their
offer be accepted.

Fortunately, I have attended all of the ISBBCs and have watched them grow
from weekend to week-long events with increasing numbers attending. No
matter where in the world they are held, the conferences are beneficial to
those who attend and those who later experience the results of
discussions,
proposals and outcomes from the conferences.

Let's support COSBA and CASBA in their offer for 2008, and hope that the
other associations and networks around the world will line up with offers
for 2010 and beyond as they grow and have the local and regional support
they need to host the event in the future.

Joyce

on 10.12.2006 8:26 PM, Martin Hammer at mfhammer@...:

> Laura, thanks for bringing up the important subject of the location of
ISBBC
> 2008.  I have very strong feelings about this.
>
> First, however, without going into detail, I want to say I thought the
> recent ISBBC in Ontario was an extraordinary success, and I thank all of
> those in Ontario who did such great work making it so, as well as
everyone
> who attended and contributed.  Truly amazing, diversely informative, and
> routinely inspiring.  Maybe in a future e-mail (or TLS article) I or
others
> could share more about this.  And without diminishing the enormous work
that
> many in the Ontario SB Coalition did, a special thanks to Chris Magwood
for
> his steady presence throughout and for his inspired closing address.
>
> OK.  ISBBC 2008.  Two offers to host ISBBC 2008 were expressed at the
> Ontario conference.  One from Maurice Bennett of CASBA (for California)
and
> one, as Laura has stated for Colorado.  Of course any offer to host and
take
> on the large task of making it happen is greatly appreciated.  Both
> California and Colorado have been fertile ground in the evolution of
straw
> bale building.  But I feel strongly that, if at all possible, the ISBBC
2008
> should not be in North America  (I also think the U.S. should get out of
> North America, but that is a different matter).
>
> 3 of the first 5 ISBBCs have been in North America (California '99,
Nebraska
> '00, Ontario '06).  '02 was in Australia, and '04 was in
Denmark.  Without
> knowing if anyone or group is willing/able to take this on, it seems to
me
> that having the '08 conference on the continent of Asia (e.g., China) or
> Africa (e.g., South Africa) would keep the conference on an expanding
course
> instead of a shrinking one.  If that is not possible, then maybe
somewhere
> in Europe (e.g., Germany, France, the U.K., Spain) or New
Zealand.  Belarus,
> also seems like a possible candidate.  In addition to the obvious
importance
> of the willingness of the host, there may be other considerations, such
as
> native language, and ease (including cost) of people in the worldwide
> community getting there.
>
> After '08, I could see the conference accepting the kind offer of those
from
> Colorado (which certainly has a lot to show), or wherever else seems
> appropriate.
>
> So those are my thoughts on the subject, and without knowing how this
> decision gets made, I hope this stimulates productive discussion.
>
> Martin Hammer
> California, USA
>

>> Dear International Community,
>> At the end of the great international conference in Canada recently,
the
>> Colorado contingent stood up and offered to have the next int'l
>> conference ('08?) in Colorado, where we have several locations to
choose
>> from with high concentrations of straw bale homes, schools and other
>> structures as well as a very active state association. There were also
>> conversations among other folks about whether the next conference
should
>> be moved off the North American continent. Being new to this int'l
>> conference scene, I thought I would represent the CO folks and write to
>> all of you asking for your comments. Does it really come down to who is
>> willing and able to host such an event or is there some more meaningful
>> way to navigate this choice? We would be honored to have the chance to
>> host such an event, but are very sensitive to the global needs.
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts on this,
>> Laura
>>

>> ----
>> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
send
>> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
>> ----

send

Jo, Asger og jeg er pt I Australien. Vi er i Danmark igen midt november.

Jo, Asger and I are in Australia until mid November this year.

jomorandin@...
larskeller@...

Lars, Jo og Asger
5 Crouch Street North