Re: GSBN: International Conference for Africa

Andy,
Thanks for this insight and reminder of the value of what we are doing
here in the US.
Best wishes in overcoming the challenges with legistlation that you are
facing.

Laura Bartels

GreenWeaver
Inc.

P.O. Box
912

,

Carbondale
,
CO

81623

Ph. 970.379.6779

Fax
970.963.0905

laura@...

www.greenweaverinc.com

Andy Horn wrote:

Dear
all,

just to say that unfortunately I would say South Africa is far from
ready to

host the next or near future SB International conference. At present
there

is no real unified network of Straw balers here....just a bunch of
inspired

individuals building inspite of all the odds. The expansion of the SB

movement is being increasingly stymied by a tightening of inappropriate

government/bank leglislation when it comes to building new homes in
natural

building materials (though ironically not when it comes to other types
of

buildings). With home builder pioneers being at the mainstay of the SB

building movement, I don't see a conference being viable here until we

overcome this hurdle..... so that SB and other forms of natural
building can

take their rightful place in addressing some of the huge inequalities
we are

faced with in this country.

I so wish to be able to afford the cash and time to attend one of your

conferences within the next few years.....as I would find it invaluable

be able to see, understand and photograph a range of quality SB
buildings in

a first world country....particularly the States.....to bring back here

showcase.

To explain.(could write a thesis on this topic)..... Ironically most
South

Africans are not easily impressed by what is done locally, but show
someone

what is being done in a first world country and you gain almost
immediate

respect/status. Basically what you have to understand is that South
Africa

is still dogged by a 3rd world mentality (even though many parts and
peoples

of South Africa are also very much first world). Thus there is this
momentum

that drives 3rd world countries (certainly in Southern Africa) to
strive for

what the 1st world nations have achieved.and turn their backs or look
down

on what is local and what is percieved as backward or undeveloped. So
when I

show a government person an example of one of my SB buildings, they
remain

highly sceptical, that is until expalin how rich folk in America are

building them.

looking forward to attending a future conference

with respect

Andy Horn

Eco Design Architects

tel/fax: 07 21 4621614 /  4613198