 From: andy@...
 To: GSBN@...
 Sent: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 4:42 PM
 Subject: GSBN: International Conference for Africa

  Dear all,
 just to say that unfortunately I would say South Africa is far from ready to
 host the next or near future SB International conference. At present there
 is no real unified network of Straw balers here....just a bunch of inspired
 individuals building inspite of all the odds. The expansion of the SB
 movement is being increasingly stymied by a tightening of inappropriate
 government/bank leglislation when it comes to building new homes in natural
 building materials (though ironically not when it comes to other types of
 buildings). With home builder pioneers being at the mainstay of the SB
 building movement, I don't see a conference being viable here until we
 overcome this hurdle..... so that SB and other forms of natural building can
 take their rightful place in addressing some of the huge inequalities we are
 faced with in this country.

 I so wish to be able to afford the cash and time to attend one of your
 conferences within the next few years.....as I would find it invaluable to
 be able to see, understand and photograph a range of quality SB buildings in
 a first world country....particularly the States.....to bring back here to
 showcase.

 To explain.(could write a thesis on this topic)..... Ironically most South
 Africans are not easily impressed by what is done locally, but show someone
 what is being done in a first world country and you gain almost immediate
 respect/status. Basically what you have to understand is that South Africa
 is still dogged by a 3rd world mentality (even though many parts and peoples
 of South Africa are also very much first world). Thus there is this momentum
 that drives 3rd world countries (certainly in Southern Africa) to strive for
 what the 1st world nations have achieved.and turn their backs or look down
 on what is local and what is percieved as backward or undeveloped. So when I
 show a government person an example of one of my SB buildings, they remain
 highly sceptical, that is until expalin how rich folk in America are
 building them.
 looking forward to attending a future conference
 with respect

 Andy Horn

 Eco Design Architects
 tel/fax: 07 21 4621614 / 4613198