Re: GSBN: International Conference for Africa

Andy -

Thanks very much for your report of the status of straw bale building in
South Africa, both in general and relative to a future ISBBC.  Your
description of the attitudes of those in "undeveloped" countries towards
indigenous ways of building compared to the ways of the industrialized
"first world" countries, is a major problem in many parts of the world.  It
is equally a problem from inside "first world" countries, where ways of
building in the "third world" (I really have a hard time using that term)
are viewed as backward and inferior, even though many have been successfully
utilized for centuries.

David Eisenberg's detailed and thoughtful e-mail preceding mine said a lot,
and said it well.  Given the reality that so many look to the west (and
especially the U.S.) it has become increasingly important that we get all of
these "natural" and sustainable materials and building systems into our
codes, lest the rest of the world follow us off the approaching cliff.  In
the meantime I'm happy that people in South Africa (and other places) so
readily change their attitude about straw bale construction once they see an
exemplary straw bale building from the U.S., Europe, or down under.

Keep up the good work, and best of luck melting those bureaucratic road
blocks.  It's good to hear from you.

Martin Hammer
California