Re: GSBN: International Conference for Africa

Hello Andy,

A practical suggestion: buy Catherine Waneks latest book 'The New Straw
Bale Home'. It showcases beautiful North American homes and has magical
power in making people accept SB as serious building option. No one who
has flipped through that book can continue to say that building with SB
is not a modern and serious building method.
When I was still on wellfare I never went to a interview without it and
not once did anyone suggest that our project (teaching SB and other
earthen building techniques) might not be serious.

So yes, I do agree that we can all benifit a great deal from an other SB
Gathering in the US (just that I think it is polite to leave the
possibility for other countries to react before 'slamming the door').

The New Straw Bale Home
Gibbs Smith Publisher, 2004
ISBN 1-58685-203-5
/www.gibbs-smith.com <<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.gibbs-smith.com/";>http://www.gibbs-smith.com/</a>>/

best regards,

Andr&eacute; de Bouter

Martin Hammer a ?crit :
Andy -

Thanks very much for your report of the status of straw bale building in
South Africa, both in general and relative to a future ISBBC.  Your
description of the attitudes of those in "undeveloped" countries towards
indigenous ways of building compared to the ways of the industrialized
"first world" countries, is a major problem in many parts of the world.  It
is equally a problem from inside "first world" countries, where ways of
building in the "third world" (I really have a hard time using that term)
are viewed as backward and inferior, even though many have been successfully
utilized for centuries.

David Eisenberg's detailed and thoughtful e-mail preceding mine said a lot,
and said it well.  Given the reality that so many look to the west (and
especially the U.S.) it has become increasingly important that we get all of
these "natural" and sustainable materials and building systems into our
codes, lest the rest of the world follow us off the approaching cliff.  In
the meantime I'm happy that people in South Africa (and other places) so
readily change their attitude about straw bale construction once they see an
exemplary straw bale building from the U.S., Europe, or down under.

Keep up the good work, and best of luck melting those bureaucratic road
blocks.  It's good to hear from you.

Martin Hammer
California

Dear all,
just to say that unfortunately I would say South Africa is far from ready to
host the next or near future SB International conference. At present there
is no real unified network of Straw balers here....just a bunch of inspired
individuals building inspite of all the odds. The expansion of the SB
movement is being increasingly stymied by a tightening of inappropriate
government/bank leglislation when it comes to building new homes in natural
building materials (though ironically not when it comes to other types of
buildings). With home builder pioneers being at the mainstay of the SB
building movement, I don't see a conference being viable here until we
overcome this hurdle..... so that SB and other forms of natural building can
take their rightful place in addressing some of the huge inequalities we are
faced with in this country.

I so wish to be able to afford the cash and time to attend one of your
conferences within the next few years.....as I would find it invaluable to
be able to see, understand and photograph a range of quality SB buildings in
a first world country....particularly the States.....to bring back here to
showcase.

To explain.(could write a thesis on this topic)..... Ironically most South
Africans are not easily impressed by what is done locally, but show someone
what is being done in a first world country and you gain almost immediate
respect/status. Basically what you have to understand is that South Africa
is still dogged by a 3rd world mentality (even though many parts and peoples
of South Africa are also very much first world). Thus there is this momentum
that drives 3rd world countries (certainly in Southern Africa) to strive for
what the 1st world nations have achieved.and turn their backs or look down
on what is local and what is percieved as backward or undeveloped. So when I
show a government person an example of one of my SB buildings, they remain
highly sceptical, that is until expalin how rich folk in America are
building them.
looking forward to attending a future conference
with respect

Andy Horn

Eco Design Architects
tel/fax: 07 21 4621614 /  4613198