From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Joyce Coppinger
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:39 AM
To: GSBN
Subject: GSBN:Number and Size of SB Buildings

Hello all,

Questions about the total number of bale buildings by state, province and
country come in to The Last Straw all the time. Also the question about the
largest building (I don't understand the importance of this but it seems to
be of interest - competitive thing, I guess).

Here's what's listed on the International Straw Bale Registry at the moment.
I hope you will encourage your clients, association members, and anyone who
has built a SB building to list their projects. Much of the information can
be held from public view, if preferred. I know how difficult it is as I ask
people in Nebraska and elsewhere to do a listing all of the time. I have
sent messages and contacted owners asking them to include their buildings in
the registry, and will keep doing so. I hope you will all do so in your
countries, provinces, states and communities. Thanks!

Joyce
-------
Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
The Last Straw journal
GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
thelaststraw@...
www.thelaststraw.org

Total number of registered strawbale structures as of 10/30/2006: 1239
Country    Number of structures

Argentina     2
Australia     26
Belarus     1
Belgium     1   Rene estimates 35
Canada     62   Chris estimates 500 in Canada, 120 or so in Ontario
Chile     4
China     597
Croatia     1
Denmark     2
Ecuador     1
England     1
Estonia     1
France     12
Germany     1
Greece     1
Guatemela     1
Hungary     2
India     1
Ireland     2
Israel     2
Japan     2
Korea, Republic Of     2
Mexico     9
Mongolia     1
Netherlands     1
New Zealand     4
Norway     1
Peru     1
South Africa     6
Spain     4
Sweden     2
Switzerland     1

The Netherlands - no buildings are listed; Rene estimated 20-25.

United States     483

State/Province    Number of structures
Alabama     1
Alaska     2
Arkansas     4
Arizona     38
California     88
Colorado     53
Connecticut     1
Florida     2
Georgia     3
Iowa     3
Idaho     12
Illinois     3
Indiana     2
Kentucky     2
Kansas     10
Louisiana     1
Massachusetts     4
Maryland     3
Maine     2
Michigan     6
Minnesota     5
Missouri     5
Montana     12
North Carolina     6
Nebraska     6  Nebraska - There are 32 new bale buildings in Nebraska that
                I know of or have helped with, and there are only 6 listed
                in the registry. - Joyce
New Hampshire     7
New Mexico     25
Nevada     6