Re: GSBN:Siloxane - Potassium Silicate

Oh for the magic silver bullet coating material on earth plasters -

Over the years I've looked at many applications of different magic
substances - the siloxanes look promising, and give a great initial result -
but in every application I have ever looked at after some years on natural
earthen materials and many cement stabilised earths too, I have found that
nearly always moisture has got in behind the treated surface and started
spall off the surface layer of treated material.

My conclusion is that the use of surface treatments is not a good substitute
for good weather deflecting design - and if you are relying on surface
treatments for moisture resistance then there is definitely something wrong
with the design.
Coatings however, may be a good back up or insurance in limited
circumstances

Cheers

Graeme,
Graeme North Architects,