GSBN:Re: GSBN Research to combat solar warming

Plimer says: " Does it matter if sea level rises a few metres or global
 temperatures rise a few degrees? No. Sea level changes by up to 400m,
 atmospheric temperatures by about 20C, carbon dioxide can vary from
 20 per cent to 0.03 per cent, and our dynamic planet just keeps evolving.

I fear for the literacy of our society, when the above comments can
motivate anyone to be more complacent about climate change.  A sea level
rise of 400m would flood almost all major cities of the world, submerge
entirely some countries (Denmark, Belgium, Bangladesh, various Pacific
Island Nations, etc), and decrease the land area by over 50% in others.
Raising the atmospheric temperature, by 20 degrees C, would make earth's
most heavily inhabited regions warmer than the hottest deserts of today.

While the earth will survive these changes, over 90% of current species
will not.  Yet Plimer asserts that this is not a problem.

Even if  the sea level rises
by metres, it is probably cheaper to address this
change  than reconstruct the world's economies."

While calculating rational estimates of the economic costs of global
warming is very complex, it is easy to imagine the staggering cost of
isolated elements of the problem.  Land/building/infrastructure prices in
coastal cities like Houston, Tokyo, Miami, Rio de Janeiro, Venice and New
York, are hundreds of millions of dollars per acre.  A rise in sea level of
six meters, on the lower end of predictions, would require relocating major
parts of most of the world's major cities.  Plimer's assertion that the
world's current economic structure can handle comfortably such a
dislocation is absurd.

I am saddened that superficial and transparently erroneous arguments such
as Plimer's are used as a basis for policy decisions and can convince
significant portions of our population to support the status quo.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico