GSBN:Re: Research to combat solar warming

Hi, Straw Wolf John,

The question of human influence on current climate change is one of
the critical ones for our time.  It is important to research past
variations, and to determine what other factors might influence
current trends.  Unfortunately, some writers have used a deluge of
antedeluvian data to distract from conclusive research on our current
situation.  While we are far from knowing everything, many important
questions have been answered, to the satisfaction of an overwhelming
majority of climate scientists.  It is wrong to pretend that we don't
have good data, showing that human activity is a major factor in
causing atmospheric changes, which are unprecedented in the last half
a million years.

Drilling into the ice of Greenland, Antarctica, and other locations,
scientists have been able to make a good determination of the
atmospheric temperature, and the levels of various gasses and
pollutants deep into the past.  There is a close correlation between
higher carbon dioxide (CO2) levels and higher temperatures.  Let me
quote from Al Gore's book, "An Inconvenient Truth," which I happen to
have beside me, and a web site or two (for example,
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/warnings/stories/nojs.html";>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/warnings/stories/nojs.html</a>>).  At no
point, over the last 650,000 years (some say "several million
years"), has the atmospheric CO2 exceeded 300 parts per million
(ppm).  During most of that period, CO2 was under 240 ppm.  The
gigantic volcanic explosions of Toba and Krakatoa, mentioned by
Plimer, did not push the CO2 index over 290.

Today, our atmosphere contains more than 380 parts per million CO2.
And it will take major changes in human activity trends to keep it
from attaining 600 ppm within the next 45 years.

20 of the 21 hottest years ever recorded have occurred in the last 25
years (the 21st was in the 1940s).  The last six years have been
warmer than any on record, except for 1997.  Whatever graph or
grouping one makes, the current increase in global air and water
temperature averages exceed in magnitude, consistency and duration
anything measured or calculated in the past 650,000 years.

Certainly, there have been major and minor extinctions, and die-offs
of many species in the past, as Plimer asserts.  That doesn't make me
eager to experience the next one, and I hate that fact that I am
contributing.  I am striving to minimize my contribution, and to
influence others to do the same.  This is my strongest motivation for
being involved in sustainable building.  I'm proud to be associated
with the Straw Wolf, David Eisenberg, and all the other people on
this list, who are contributing to finding parts of the solution to
slowing CO2 increases, and resulting climate change.

Best wishes,

Derek

--On November 26, 2006 11:37:24 AM +1100 John Glassford