Re: GSBN:Re: GSBN re: Minke

On Jan 10, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Frank & Ingrid wrote:

Dear GSBNÕers . . . Being on the subject of new members we would like to ask if a mail we send end of October 2006 in regards to a nomination by us for Kermo
Juerman from Estonia actually was received by the list . . .

Frank, I don't remember seeing it.

and also support Gernot Minke's inclusion in GSBN, though I wonder if anyone asked him if he WANTS to be on this list. I can't imagine why not, but you never know.

Some of you may be interested to know that when I met Gernot a year ago, I asked why he had selected that photograph of the "ecohouse" in London for his cover. He replied that he hadn't -- the publisher did.

That building has, among many elements, an unplastered straw bale wall protected from weather by a sheet of currogated polycarbonate sheeting, with an 8 cm vented cavity between. When in London last November, I visited the house and talked with the architect (who also lives there). I was surprised to see that the bales still look fresh and beautiful after several years, and appear to be providing insulation because air flow is stopped by a layer of hydraulic lime plaster on the inside surface.

see <a target="_blank" href="http://www.swarch.co.uk/PROJECTS/type2/Project4/sos%20information.pdf";>http://www.swarch.co.uk/PROJECTS/type2/Project4/sos%20information.pdf</a>

and  <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.swarch.co.uk/index0.html";>http://www.swarch.co.uk/index0.html</a>

happy new year to all,

Bruce King