GSBN:Re: Ecohouse

On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:42 AM, André de Bouter wrote:

Hello everybody . . .

I'd like to know exactly how well Sarah's sb wall insulates.

I'm pretty sure they don't know, other than that the room (a guest room, only partially used) seems to stay comfortable.

However, Bruce, did you try the quick and dirty (and totally
un-respectful) lighter test while you were there? Meaning: did you hold
a lighter at the base of the wall?

Of course I did, and -- here's the British for you -- they got all excited and started screaming and jumping around as if a little fire test was such a big deal. Hah! They should have been in San Antonio last summer -- now THAT was a fire test.

Would Sarah agree to this type of
fire demonstration of her 'slick and hairy' system? Probably not.

Yeah, she made me stop, once she'd calmed down a bit and I could understand her.

Based on our collective experience with lab and accidental project fires, I would guess that, yes, a fire could climb into the vented cavity and crawl up the hairy straw bale surface. It might not burn the bales too much, but it could ignite the roof.

Bruce "anybody got a light?" King