Re: GSBN:Re: Ecohouse

Many years ago a group from Southern California built a straw bale
"demonstration house" at the Yuba County fair grounds for the annual fair.
Putting aside the question of why it was a SOUTHERN CA firm demonstrating
straw bale walls in NORTHERN CA, the activity generated some interesting
concerns from the local fire department.  At one point they were
considering whether to halt the opening of the fair until full blown fire
tests were done, or the bale structure was removed.
As an alternative, the architect asked them to light the bottom of the
wall.  Actually, I think what he asked them was to TRY to burn the wall.
It was not yet plastered, so from the fire chief's point of view, this was
a potential very unsafe way to test the safety of this structure that was
going to be visited by literally tens of people (remember, this was Yuba
County).
After rounding up all the shovels and rakes and hoses and other fire
fighting equipment on the fair grounds and off the fire trucks they drove
up in, the chief lit the bottom of one wall.  It fairly exploded with quick
travelling flame that ran to the top... and went out.  The entire
demonstration lasted perhaps 5 seconds, perhaps six.  No remaining hot
spots.  No residual smoke.  No more problems from the fire department.
If you want more details, contact Ian McKilvey (sp?) with Sol De Mar on the
California coast somewhere south of Monterey (perhaps WAY south of
Monterey).

Nehemiah Stone
stoneandstraw@...