Port Townsend, WA 98368
360.379.8541
www.building-green.net

On Jan 13, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Nehemiah Stone wrote:

One important point that I left out, is that at the time the test was done, there was ZERO wood in the structure. No ceiling joists. No rafters. Not even a top plate or, if I remember correctly, a window buck. Burning of the exposed straw has only tight straw (think closed phone book) to try to ignite. Please do not think of the Yuba Fair Grounds test to be directly
applicable to a home.  Sorry if I gave that impression.

stoneandstraw@...
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

[Original Message]
From: billc billc_lists@...
To: GSBN GSBN@...
Date: 1/12/2007 3:48:23 PM
Subject: Re: GSBN:GSBN re Ecohouse

At 6:42 PM +0100 1/12/07, André de Bouter wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm not so surprised that the straw behind the currogated polycarbonate sheeting still looks good as it never receives any rain (only humid air).

Hopefully they had the sense to douse the straw
really well with boric acid solution or some
other fire retardant before placing the
polycarbonate.  Were I foolish enough to attempt
unplastered bales somewhere, I'd at least do
that. Despite Nehemiah's Yuba story.

Green Building Professionals Directory:
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://directory.sustainablesources.com";>http://directory.sustainablesources.com</a>>