Re: GSBN: re Ecohouse

John, thanks for your quick and thoughtful response.  I do agree with you
that a render over the bales solves the fire (and rodent) problem if one
wishes to finish the bale wall with some type of sheet or plank siding which
creates an airspace (or even if there is no substantial airspace?), but I
believe one coat of render (as thin as 1/4" (6mm)) is sufficient for the
purpose of protecting the bales from igniting.

Regarding truth windows and your comment -"or why have a truth window at
all?" - I emphatically believe that truth windows must be allowed.  Why?
Because they show the truth, and what could be more important than that??
Showing the truth of the straw inside the walls for me far outweighs any
minor fire risk from a small (size is a matter of debate) exposed area of
straw.

Just thought I would express that quickly.  Also, although I didn't mention
rodents in my last e-mail, which I do think is a problem that needs to be
considered as well, I just think it's secondary.  However, if you have taken
care of fire with the system of construction, you have usually also taken
care of rodents.

Thanks for all your comments.

Martin