From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of billc
Sent: Thursday, 18 January 2007 2:32 PM
To: GSBN
Subject: Re: GSBN: re Ecohouse

At 5:52 PM -0800 1/17/07, Martin Hammer wrote:

>In my most recent straw bale code draft I have addressed two of the
>above issues and am considering addressing the third.  I'm very
>interested in the opinions of GSBNers.  My current and imminent
>positions are as follows,  but feel free to comment or to flat out
>disagree.  In reverse order of the
>above:

Do the codes typically address the construction process as well?

If so, I'd suggest language prohibiting use of grinders, welders,
propane torches, smoking, and other sources of ignition within X
distance of any exposed straw including loose straw on the ground unless
certain safety conditions were met.  (for instance, some plumbing joints
may need to be soldered but there are insulating materials which can be
put behind and above the joint to prevent ignition, and a water hose can
be turned on and ready).

As Wolfie mentioned, most bale buildings which have burned - and all but
two of the total losses that I can think of - have been a result of
stray sparks igniting loose straw while under construction.

If I were an insurance company I'd be quite comfortable providing fire
insurance on a finished bale building but really nervous about
construction insurance.

Green Building Professionals Directory:
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://directory.sustainablesources.com";>http://directory.sustainablesources.com</a>>