Re: GSBN: re Ecohouse / Fire issues

Hello Bill C.,

Generally I agree, as Nehemiah said, the building codes in California do not
address fire or safety during the construction process.  The only places I
can find where the Uniform Building Code (which has been the basis for most
building codes in the western US states for decades) ventures into the realm
of safety are:

a) Section 904.6  Fire Extinguishing Systems - Buildings Under Construction,
there are requirements for providing a standpipe for buildings greater than
three stories.
b) Section 3303 - Protection of Pedestrians During Construction or
Demolition.

However, almost all of the US (and California beginning 2008) now uses the
relatively new International Building Code (IBC) as the basis for State and
local building codes.  AND, there is a chapter in the IBC entitled "Chapter
33 - Safeguards During Construction".  It deals with protection of
pedestrians and adjacent property as the UBC did, but it goes at least two
places the UBC didn't as follows:

A) Section 3309 - Fire Extinguishers,  which requires temporary fire
extinguishers during demolition or construction in locations/situations it
specifies.
B) 3309.2 - Fire Hazards,  which stipulates that the International Fire Code
be followed "to safeguard against all fire hazards attendant upon
construction operations."

I haven't seen the IFC, so I don't know what it contains.  But there may be
something there that is useful and enforceable relative to straw bale
construction.

(Note:  Although the above is in the model IBC, some jurisdictions might
exclude that section (or any other section) from their Code)

Until last Spring I DID have a section of the proposed California SB Code
that addressed the issue of fire safety during construction.  It identified
all of the points that you made and more.  At the CASBA 2006 Spring
conference I asked for comments about that section from the attending CASBA
members.  They jumped all over it (like they were trying to extinguish a
fire on a straw bale)  and more or less insisted I not include such language
in the SB code because:

1. It is not the place of the building code to regulate process.
2. It calls too much attention to SB as a fire hazard, especially relative
to building officials who approve permits, insurance companies, and lenders.
3. There are no such requirements for the commonly used and quite flammable
method of wood frame construction.

So, even though on the surface it seems like a very good and sensible idea,
and although it might even save a few buildings (and lives?) I removed it
from the proposed SB code I submitted.

I'm not entirely convinced that it shouldn't be in a straw bale code, but I
know it is much easier to add it than subtract it, and decided that even in
the approval process of the proposed code in California, proposing such
language might unnecessarily scare people who are the gatekeepers of
approval.  All that said however, maybe there should at least be a code
requirement that a sign (with specific language re: fire safety during
construction) be posted on each straw bale construction site.

Martin Hammer
California, USA

PS - One other minor note.  I have been told that somewhere in the Plumbing
Code there is mention of shielding flammable construction from an open
torch, but have never actually seen such language, and I found none just now
with a quick search in an out dated edition of the Uniform Plumbing Code.