RE: GSBN: re Ecohouse / Fire issues

<x-charset windows-1250>On this subject of "good practice" vs. "code requirement" we've had many
discussions.  This fire issue is a good example of a good practice that
wouldn't be appropriately regulated by building code.

[In this case, there is a jurisdictional hole--buildings under construction
aren't regulated by fire codes the way a completed and occupied building
would be. There are some areas here in California where a supply of water
must be on hand before a building permit will be allowed, and I presume this
is so that a fire could be extinguished before it consumes the rest of the
county.]

It's important for us to promulgate "good practice", just as most industry
associations issue guidelines and models of good practice independent of
regulatory bodies.  This promotes successful building practices, while
providing legal cover for members.  It also can stifle innovation and drive
up the cost of building. Each "practice" must be considered in balancing the
need to encourage practices that we know are reliable, with the important
role of experimentation and innovation in natural building.

Strawbale and other associations can play an important role in furthering
good practice and innovation, if they're willing to take a high-profile
position in the building community--if nobody hears about good practice,
then how can they "follow"?

John "Practically Perfect" Swearingen

John Swearingen
 SKILLFUL MEANS