Re: GSBN: re Ecohouse / Fire issues

 Hi all,

 Sorry to have been absent from the discussion of this hot topic. Just too many things to manage these days. Anyway, there are a few things that I wanted to contribute to this discussion.

 First, I have always recommended that no bare straw be left exposed to air spaces in any assembly that has the potential for fire. This covers any straw that is not plastered. It is both a fire hazard and creates a reduction in the insulating value of the straw if there is space for air movement between the finish and the straw.

 Second, I want to make sure we're clear about the difference between what happens when you burn an unconstrained bale whether flat or on-edge when the strings are cut or burned through and what happens to bales that are installed in a wall and constrained by other bales and structural elements. I'm not a big proponent of bales on-edge, mostly because of the various limitations that orientation imposes on the modification of bales, but the fire test we did this summer in Texas on the wall with poly-tied bales on edge is about as good a demonstration of what actually happens in a wall as we're likely to get. The strings burned away, the stucco fell off the heated side of the wall and the wall still withstood two-and-a-half minutes of the fire hose blasting away at the wall. I recognize that different countries have different fire testing standards, but the ASTM E-119 Full Scale Fire Test is, as I understand it, the most rigorous and demanding fire test anywhere, both in temperature and in the hose stream test requirement.

 Over the years I wrote several articles about straw bale fires for The Last Straw, interviewing lots of people regarding the circumstances leading up to and the details of the actual events. I have also played around a few times with trying to burn bales and been involved with some of the fire tests. I think people have pretty well expressed the issues related preventing and minimizing the damage of fire and concur that the most vulnerable time is during construction and key contributing factors are typically loose and shaggy bales, loose straw on the ground, unstuffed holes in the walls, lack of fire suppression (hoses, fire extinguishers, etc.), combined with various acts of incendiary stupidity. You know what they say about why it's so hard to make things foolproof... because fools are so damned clever!...

 Regarding codes and fire safety requirements during construction, here are some relevant excerpts from the 2003 International Fire Code (IFC). They may be of some general interest or use at least in thinking about this whole issue. Also, it should be explained that the International Code Council and the family of "International" codes they produce, including the International Building Code (IBC), the International Residential Code (IRC), the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), plumbing and mechanical codes, etc. and the IFC, are actually U.S. codes and not international codes the way we are an international group...

 David Eisenberg

 CHAPTER 14
 FIRE SAFETY DURING CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION
 SECTION 1401
 GENERAL
 1401.1 Scope. This chapter shall apply to structures in the
 course of construction, alteration, or demolition, including
 those in underground locations. Compliance with NFPA 241 is
 required for items not specifically addressed herein.

 1401.2 Purpose. This chapter prescribes minimum safeguards
 for construction, alteration, and demolition operations to provide
 reasonable safety to life and property from fire during such
 operations.

 SECTION 1404
 PRECAUTIONS AGAINST FIRE
 1404.1 Smoking. Smoking shall be prohibited except in approved
 areas. Signs shall be posted in accordance with Section 310. In
 approved areas where smoking is permitted, approved
 ashtrays shall be provided in accordance with Section 310.

 1404.2 Waste disposal. Combustible debris shall not be accumulated
 within buildings. Combustible debris, rubbish and
 waste material shall be removed from buildings at the end of
 each shift of work. Combustible debris, rubbish and waste material
 shall not be disposed of by burning on the site unless approved.

 1404.3 Open burning. Open burning shall comply with Section
 307.

 1404.4 Spontaneous ignition. Materials susceptible to spontaneous
 ignition, such as oily rags, shall be stored in a listed disposal
 container.

 1404.6 Cutting and welding. Operations involving the use of
 cutting and welding shall be done in accordance with Chapter
 26.
 1404.7 Electrical. Temporary wiring for electrical power and
 lighting installations used in connection with the construction,
 alteration or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment or
 similar activities shall comply with the ICC Electrical Code.

 SECTION 1408
 OWNERâ??S RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIRE
 PROTECTION
 1408.1 Program superintendent. The owner shall designate a
 person to be the Fire Prevention Program Superintendent who
 shall be responsible for the fire prevention program and ensure
 that it is carried out through completion of the project. The fire
 prevention program superintendent shall have the authority to
 enforce the provisions of this chapter and other provisions as
 necessary to secure the intent of this chapter. Where guard service
 is provided, the superintendent shall be responsible for the
 guard service.

 1408.2 Prefire plans. The fire prevention program superintendent
 shall develop and maintain an approved prefire plan in cooperation
 with the fire chief. The fire chief and the fire code
 official shall be notified of changes affecting the utilization of
 information contained in such prefire plans.

 1408.3 Training. Training of responsible personnel in the use
 of fire protection equipment shall be the responsibility of the
 fire prevention program superintendent.

 1408.4 Fire protection devices. The fire prevention program
 superintendent shall determine that all fire protection equipment
 is maintained and serviced in accordance with this code.
 The quantity and type of fire protection equipment shall be approved.

 1408.5 Hot work operations. The superintendent shall be responsible
 for supervising the permit system for hotwork operations
 in accordance with Chapter 26.

 WATER SUPPLY FOR FIRE PROTECTION
 1412.1 When required. An approved water supply for fire protection,
 either temporary or permanent, shall be made available
 as soon as combustible material arrives on the site.
 period to ascertain that protection is in service.

 SECTION 1415
 PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
 1415.1 Where required. Structures under construction, alteration
 or demolition shall be provided with not less than one approved
 portable fire extinguisher in accordance with Section
 906 and sized for not less than ordinary hazard as follows:
 1. At each stairway on all floor levels where combustible
 materials have accumulated.
 2. In every storage and construction shed.
 3. Additional portable fire extinguishers shall be provided
 where special hazards exist including, but not limited to,
 the storage and use of flammable and combustible liquids.