From: "Evgen Shirokov" iaebd@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 8:49 AM
Subject: GSBN:Re[2]: GSBN:Re: GSBN:GSBN re Ecohouse

> Hi,John
>
> Some remarks from professional ecologist about asbestos.
> If you use asbestos plate (asbestos is fixed by cement) - no problem (in
fomer USSR last 60 years and till now 90% of roofs is covered by "shifer"
(asbestos "plate") - no one case of health problem, associated with asbestos
(instead of problem with steropor, PVC, fenol, formaldegid, etc.).

> But if you use FREE asbestos for noise reduction in ventilation system
with pump (like UNESCO office in Paris) - it will be problem with asbestos
dust in office. 90% of world asbestos mining was in Russia, and during last
time of "cold war" West use the Unesco office case for stop export asbestos
from USSR by world wide mass media company (but it was more politic, then
ecologict reason). West win this game, but use  asbestos(mainly, from USA
and Canada)in construction materials till now, but without "media noise"
(asbestos is natural cheap material with unic propeties). Few years ago
National Cort of USA (I don't know the real name this body in English,
sorry) officially allow to use asbestos in construction materials (without
massmedia company).

> I'm not a fun of asbestos, I prefer use clay or lime stucco, but truth is
truth.

> Evgeny Shirokov
>
> -----Original Message-----From: "John" jswearingen@...
> To: "'GSBN'" GSBN@...
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:08:31 -0800
> Subject: RE: GSBN:Re: GSBN:GSBN re Ecohouse
>
> > <No problem with mice at all. >
> > Isn't there a problem with asbestos, though?
> >
> > John
> >
> > John Swearingen
> >  SKILLFUL MEANS
> > design and construction
> > www.skillful-means.com

Shirokov
> > Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 12:14 PM
> > To: GSBN
> > Subject: GSBN:Re: GSBN:GSBN re Ecohouse
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > we have at least 5 straw-bale houses in Belarus covered by asbestos
> > sheeting, oldest is 4 years. No problem with mice at all. If you made
> > asbestos sheeting (10-12mm)without holes, mice can't destroy it, i
think, or
> > , may be, only some special Siberian mice... From our experiance: mice
never
> > enter straw-bale walls, if wall have good dencity, sheeting is closer
with
> > bales (or use ray straw- mice never go in, in any case).
> >
> > Evgeny Shirokov

Brecon