Re: GSBN:Re[2]: GSBN:Re[2]: GSBN:Re: GSBN:GSBN re Ecohouse

I just want to let you guys know how deeply grateful I am to be amongst such
a thoughtful, wellmeaning AND acting crowd.

Lars

PS: I have just installed a water circulation pump from the company
Grundfos' new product line Alpha Pro.
It's purpose is to shift the water from the 42 meters of copper pipe in my
3500kgs brick oven up to the hot water storage tanke and trough the floor
heating curcuits.
Well, the interesting thing is that its power use is 5 watts (amongst other
things due to the use of a PMG, permanent magnet generator).

2007/1/21, Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...:

Evgeny,

It is all true what you say and surely do not want to go into an east
west discussion. It is good to read other perspectives.

I just would like to add the following perspective to the discussion. I
used to live close to Boxburg in South Africa where asbestos was mined.
I can tell you when I lived there in the early 60's there was little
concern for the effects of asbestos on miners or workers health. We
moved to the Cape quite coincidentally close to the plant of a big
factory making cement bound asbestos products like drain pipes etc.
This plant came under pressure to close down due to Health risks to its
workers and the surrounding suburbs. This was still during the
apartheid in South Africa. I wonder how many mainly black workers died
due to lung cancer at this factory. I know many hundreds have died at
the mines.

I drive a new car that has no asbestos in its brakes ok it squeaks a
little more then asbestos but I accept this down side to not using
asbestos. I suggest that if there are alternative materials with side
affects, where ever in their life cycle, we should preferably not use
them.

I often ponder the question of suitable products. I know I use products
I would actually prefer not to use but some how tradition and market
pressures force me to use such products. Not using some products means
educating clients that there are more sustainable options or myself
that I should rethink the whole problem to see if a completely
different approach offers a better solution.

All the materials you mention in your mail I preferably not use and
avoid them as much as possible. I still use too much concrete in my
foundations but have not found suitable alternatives for the building
conditions in the West Netherlands. If I can find a suitable
alternative I will use it.

Rene

jomorandin@...
larskeller@...