Re: GSBN:Largest strawbale buildings?clapboard

Hi Kim,

Here in Denmark, Europe, where we've got our share of 0 degree days as
well, it is slowly becoming the done thing to clad the southern side
of the house, when it has a high wall for the sun-intake.

Our prevailing wind, as well as wind-driven rains, comes from the
west, but it is clearly the southern side that faces the biggest
challenge. Due to the influence of heating sun during the day, i
assume.

Lars

PS: I'd be happy to receive the pictures as well Kelly.

2007/2/3, kim thompson shipharbour@...:
Hi Kelly,

Horizontal clapboard over rough plastered bales has been a very
successful treatment for bale walls in Atlantic Canada for the last
10 years. There have been several different systems used, the one
Jeff describes (with wood framing) being amoung them. Our weather is
extremely hard on buildings with lots of wind driven rain and snow
and intense, quick freeze thaw cycles that are very hard on
plasters.... particularly plasters with cracks.

The clap board system has been used here on 12 residences of one and
two stories, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work on three or
even four. I guess the question is what is available locally to
create the rain screen - I can imagine that wood might be at a premium.

Of note is that three (and I think there will be more over time)
owners have used this approach as a remediation strategy with
considerable success when it became apparent that their walls on
those particular (exposed)  sites couldn't stand up to the weather.

I can send you photos separately if you like.

ciao,

kim

Kim Thompson
Straw Bale Projects
2699 Northwood Terrace
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 5S9
tel. 902-453-2429
e mail: shipharbour@...
www.naturalbuilding.ca

"Tradition and modernity are merely two sides of the same coin - and
must be dealt with simultaneously. Building cannot be a rigid dogma,
but a living, organic, ecological project. It is about continuity,
based on memory, common sense and experience and is the foundation of
invention."   Hasan Uddin Khan

jomorandin@...
larskeller@...

+45 8668 0505