Re: GSBN:SB in Costa RIca?

On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Catherine Wanek wrote:

At 06:53 PM 2/3/2007,  Chris Magwood wrote:
I have a friend named Grant Chappell who built a straw bale house in
Costa Rica ..........

I will be traveling to San Juan, Nicaragua for an earthen standards
gathering at the end of March, and know for a fact that a Canadian NGO
has built several SB buildings there.  I've also heard that they're
already melting, and will try and investigate.

I truly don't see the point of building with bales in the tropics
UNLESS you're going to use air conditioning, and without air
conditioning it would be very hard to make durable (non-melting)
buildings.  It's the tropics!  You need a good roof, insect screens,
and just enough walls for privacy (and, in earthquake areas,
stability).  Wall insulation is downright silly.

Anyone know of other SB buildings in Nicaragua?

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )
Publisher, Green Building Press  ( www.greenbuildingpress.com )
11 Mark Drive