GSBN:Borax fireproofing?

Hello Mark and, hopefully, all the other noble members of this list ! (I'm
not sure this reply will get to any of you because it's my first ever). If
it does, well I also want to say hello to those of you I met at the Ontario
conference.

I am co-author, with Paul Lazinski, of the book "Serious Straw Bale", in
case you happen to know the book. At page 206 of the book we describe the
recipe of the boron mix which was given to me by Paul Belanger of Living
Design Systems in Alberta, Canada. He has used that mix many times to
protect bare bale walls during construction against fire hazards. He has
used it particularly over flax straw which, as you may know, is highly
flammable due to its high linseed oil content.

The mixing is done this way: Two parts of borax are mixed dry with one part
of boric acid to near-boiling water, to the point of saturation-when the
powdered ingredients do not dilute anymore-and then sprayed, usually with a
pressurized garden sprayer. It doesn't take very long to spray an entire
structure this way, and it certainly makes everybody feel much safer until a
base coat of plaster is applied. A mix of 10 pounds of borax and 5 pound of
boric acid is normally sufficient to spray a house.

If you can't find the basic ingredients you could check with a cellulose
fiber manufacturer for they use the same material to coat the fiber mix we
use for insulation purposes.

Michel Bergeron
Designer
6282, de Saint-Vallier