Re: GSBN:Borax fireproofing?

Evgeny, what aspect of Borax is unhealty?

As for the french dip, I find it very unhealthy for my back (makes the
bales VERY heavy).

André de Bouter

Lorenzo Robles a ?crit :
Hello Michel, and  everyone else,

I would rather go on Evgen Shirokov  position, that is, fireproofing with
liquid clay (also called "french dip" by Tom Rijven & his fans!).
Well, Borax is a good retardant (retards ignition superficially, on
burnable
materials like straw, wood or paper), but...
But if there is an intense heat source, like a reall fire in the
place, it
wont be long before fire spreads through, anyway. The huge advantage
of clay
(beyond the fact it is healthy and unexpensive) is the physical barrier ,
stopping circulation of air within the fibers. No air, no fire.
This is obvious when we see the fire tests on a sb with clay on it:
behing
the "earth shell" the fibers have slowly carbonized, but no flame,
thus no
spreading, has occured.
And in most cases sb houses will get a plastering on, so if the first
coat
is clay, borax salts turn to be unnecessary.
Lorenzo