Re: GSBN:Re: Rammed Earth Tire Foundations for SB Homes

Hello Derek:

Thank you for relaying Pete Fust's experiences with tire foundations.

The saddest builders I've met were an owner trying to build an earthship on his own and the son of another owner who said he helped his father pound gravel into the tires with a sledgehammer over a 15 month period. Neither structure was completed. A local bale builder started a 30' diameter tire foundation which began to spread after stacking and filling, so she and her sons wrapped the tires is an cage of bent rebar. They asked me to spray a thick layer of lime cement stucco to strengthen the foundation.

The inquiries about this type of foundation stopped years ago.

all the best,

Habib

Sustainable Works
Habib John Gonzalez
RR#1, S-4, C-12
Crescent Valley, British Columbia
Canada, V0G-1H0
tel/fax 250-359-5095
www.sustainableworks.ca
"Better the kindness of imperfection than perfection without kindness"