RE: GSBN:Compression for infill

Hi Laura,
We have been using a 19mm (3/4 ") flat polyester strapping which has a
1,100 kg breaking strain. We fit them every 450mm (18") along the wall.
We fit an extra heavy duty metal buckle to both sides of the wall.

We have been able to consistently gain 7% compression by compressing 3
times with 24 hours between each compression. As a consequence of the
rigidity of the wall following this compression we have been able to
negate the need for any bracing of the substructure.

We use a 450mm wide bottom boxing standing 90mm high, filled with clean
crushed rock. The top boxing is made up of 3 pieces of 90x45 plantation
pine. 2 pieces vertical with the third horizontal between and at the
bottom of the two vertical pieces, thereby forming a U shape. This gives
a top boxing of 180mm in width. This I believe also contributes to the
stability of the wall, as we gain significant triangulation as a result.

All of this information is in my book "Building Your Straw Bale Home-
from foundations to the roof" published by Landlinks press ( a division
of CSIRO Publishing in Australia.

We have also been able to reduce the size of the posts supporting the
top ring beam, as the bales are tightly packed in around the posts,
thereby providing lateral stability to the posts resulting in a
lessening of the risk of bowing under pressure.

I trust this is of help.

Kindest regards

Brian Hodge

Anvill Straw