Re: GSBN:Compression for infill

G ' day Bill and Rikki

The hole at the top or gap is dealt with in two or more ways depending
on the deisgn of the building.  In the case of the South Coat House
the architect designed the walls to fit below double glazed windows on
a rake.  This worked well except for the fact that we had to make sure
we achieved an exact height all round of 2.405 metres.  We had a
tolerance of 5mm.  The rods achieved this and we got a 100mm
compression from a 7 bale high wall. We were also within 5 mm all
round after compression.

Nikki I will send you some photos off list which will help explain.

The other way is to build the wall to 250mm below the height of the
top plate on the in-fill and then pre-compress 100mm or whatever the
test wall showed prior to building, then you have a gap or hole at the
top of 350mm which will take one bale usually forced in for a tight
fit above the straw bale wall.  This method has worked well for us
when we do in-fill which is rare, as we usually build load bearing
homes.

Kind regards
John Glassford
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions